The feeling you get when reading quotes about traveling is candidly enchanting. Traveling is the greatest way to discover new things, meet new people, and experience different cultures. It unravels the good and the bad, the nooks and crannies of the world unfamiliar, depending on where you want to put your eyes on. So as you pack your bags, read these inspiring quotes below and be more motivated to step out of your comfort zone!
Quotes About Traveling | The World Embodied in Sans Serif
1. “Not all those who wander are lost.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
This is a very heartfelt and provocative quote from the famous English poet and writer J.R.R. Tolkien. To some, a person who wanders doesn’t seem to have a purpose or direction and is probably confined in his self-made cages. But wandering can make you understand things, even the vaguest ones. It can give life a whole new meaning and will eventually bring you from one point to another. The journey between is surely worth it, so just enjoy the ride.
2. “When we get out of the glass bottle of our ego and when we escape like the squirrels in the cage of our personality and get into the forest again, we shall shiver with cold and fright. But things will happen to us so that we don’t know ourselves. Cool, unlying life will rush in.”
— D.H. Lawrence
3. “A man of ordinary talent will always be ordinary, whether he travels or not; but a man of superior talent will go to pieces if he remains forever in the same place.”
—Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
4. “To awaken alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.”
– Freya Stark
5. “Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.”
—Henry David Thoreau
6 “We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.”
― Anaïs Nin, The Diary of Anaïs Nin
7. “Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.”
– Ibn Battuta
Ibn Battuta is a great Moroccan scholar and explorer who traveled the world for almost 30 years. He tells us that traveling the world can take our breath away and leave us in awe. When we come back from our journey, we bring back not only souvenirs but also tales of our adventure. Every traveler has his own story to tell.
8. “The journey, not the arrival, matters.”
9. “For the born traveler, traveling is a besetting vice. Like other vices, it is imperious, demanding its victim’s time, money, energy and the sacrifice of comfort.”
10. “Bizarre travel plans are dancing lessons from God.”
11. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”
― Augustine of Hippo
The patron of brewers, St. Augustine of Hippo describes the world as a book. There are similarities between the two. Reading books and traveling can teach us a lot of things and entertain us at the same time. So, turn to the next page, travel, and learn more about the world we live in. Create new chapters and stories that will complete the story of your life.
12. “To move, to breathe, to fly, to float, To gain all while you give, To roam the roads of lands remote, To travel is to live.”
― Hans Christian Andersen, The Fairy Tale of My Life: An Autobiography
13. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
— Mark Twain
14. “You don’t have to be rich to travel well.”
– Eugene Fodor
15. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.”
– Helen Keller
16. “We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.”
There are several reasons why a majority of people are obsessed with wanderlust. Most of us travel to maintain our sanity and get away from the doldrums of our daily routine. It can revive and give color to our lifeless existence. One great way to remind us that we are still alive and well.
17. “Travelling is like flirting with life. It’s like saying, ‘I would stay and love you, but I have to go; this is my station.”
—Lisa St. Aubin de Teran
18. “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.”
– Mary Anne Radmacher
19. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
– Andre Gide
20. “Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen.”
– Benjamin Disraeli
21. “Travel brings power and love back into your life.”
― Jalaluddin Mevlana Rumi
The great poet Rumi tells us that travel can help you empower yourself. It can connect you with your inner self which may lead to a deeper understanding of who you really are. Traveling can make you realize that you should love yourself more so it can be easier for you to be loved by someone else.
22. “The use of traveling is to regulate imagination with reality, and instead of thinking of how things may be, see them as they are.”
– Samuel Johnson
23. “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.”
— Marcel Proust
24. “Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.”
25. “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready.”
– Henry David Thoreau
Philosopher, poet, and journalist, Henry David Thoreau presents this quote to remind us that we should give importance to our relationship with others but at the same time, we should not depend on them to obtain success and happiness. We can travel with our friends and family or we can also travel alone blissfully.
26. “If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness and fears.”
27. “Take only memories, leave only footprints.”
28. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime.”
― Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad/Roughing It
This quote from the father of American literature and one of the greatest humorist of all time, Mark Twain, tells us that traveling will broaden our viewpoints, stop injustice and discrimination, and make us embrace our similarities as well as our differences. Seeing other places can break boundaries and bring the world closer.
29. “Wherever you go, go with all your heart!”
30. “We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment.”
31. “Every man can transform the world from one of monotony and drabness to one of excitement and adventure.”
32. “Adventure is worthwhile.”
When life becomes dull, having an adventure will save you from monotony and from the madness of your humdrum routine. Taking time to go out and travel into the unknown every once in a while is worth every penny, effort and time.
33. “A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.”
–Oliver Wendell Holmes
34. “To get away from one’s working environment is, in a sense, to get away from one’s self; and this is often the chief advantage of travel and change.”
—Charles Horton Cooley
35. “Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.”
– Dalai Lama
36. “Travel is never a matter of money but of courage.”
37. “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson
38. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.”
– Gustave Flaubert
French novelist Gustave Flaubert tells us that traveling the world can open our eyes to how enormous it is. It is quite a humbling experience to understand we are just specks of dust in a vast land. There’s a lot of things this world can offer, so start exploring.
39. “What you’ve done becomes the judge of what you’re going to do – especially in other people’s minds. When you’re traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don’t have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.”
–William Least Heat-Moon
40. “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
― Lao Tzu
One of the greatest Chinese writer and philosopher, Lao Tzu, tells us we have to start at one point to go places. If we will not take the first step, we will absolutely go nowhere. No matter how long or difficult the journey or the task is, it will always start with one action.
41. “We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. We travel to open our hearts and eyes and learn more about the world than our newspapers will accommodate. We travel to bring what little we can, in our ignorance and knowledge, to those parts of the globe whose riches are differently dispersed. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again – to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more.”
42. “Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.”
43. “There was nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars.”
44. “At its best, travel should challenge our preconceptions and most cherished views, cause us to rethink our assumptions, shake us a bit, make us broader minded and more understanding.”
45. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.”
–Neale Donald Walsch
A plethora of wonderful places and spectacular happenings awaits an individual who bravely steps out of his comfort zone. Experience things you haven’t done before, eat foods you haven’t tasted before, go places you haven’t been before. When your run-of-the-mill life becomes too tiring, then you need to seek an adventure.
If you want to learn more about life, then you must travel. Watch this video from High On Life and understand why traveling is the best education one can get!
Inspiring quotes about traveling has the power to change your perspective. It has the capability to give you a temporary bliss amidst the daily madness; a beautiful release from the chains of everyday routine. These words can move us and make us pack our bags and buy a ticket. Go out, see the world, and come back a brand new you!
Do you know more quotes about traveling? Share it with us in the comments section below!