If you’re looking for things to do in Denver, you’ve come to the right place. Known as the Mile High City and the City of Plains, Denver is home to beautiful sights and world-renowned professional sports teams. So if you are planning to go, here are the must-see places and things to do in Denver.
Things to Do in Denver | Having a Blast in The Mile High City
In this article:
- What Time Is It in Denver?
- Free Things to Do in Denver
- Things to Eat in Denver
- Most Popular Restaurants in Denver
- Best Places to Shop in Denver
- Most Popular Destinations in Denver
- Check Out Art and History in Denver
- How to Get Around in Denver
- Travel Tips for Denver
1. What Time Is It in Denver?
Denver is in the -7 UTC Mountain Time Zone. The city currently practices mountain standard time. DST for Denver this year started March 11, 2018, and ends on November 4, 2018.
2. Free Things to Do in Denver
If you’re looking for budget-friendly spots in the city, then these places are a must-see!
- Denver Free Walking Tours – There’s no better way to appreciate the beauty of a place than by walking. Tourists can sign up for the Denver Free Walking Tours available daily! They begin at the Civic Center Park and end in front of the Coors Field. This trip is best if you want to learn about the city’s history, landmarks, and architectural milestones!
- Denver Beer Trail – Beer lovers, listen up! Get a taste of Denver’s top beers when you sign up to the Denver Beer Trail! You will be given a map of pubs where you can grab beers from the city’s featured breweries!
- Denver Museum of Nature & Science – This museum regularly holds special events such as free days! It’s not only for kids because even adults love it!
- Denver Skate Park – If you’re a fan of skating, this place is for you! Hang out with the locals who share the same passion as you do. Also, even if you’re not a fan of the sport, the park is a cool place to just sit and chill out!
- Alamo Placita Park – Love flowers? Then you should visit this park. It is often called Denver’s most ideal and most beautiful park. So you should not miss this.
- Mestizo-Curtis Park – Located in Denver’s oldest neighborhood, this park is also the oldest in the state. It’s popular for its public pool, spacious dog walking park, and grassy area for sunbathers. This is all around an excellent place to spend an afternoon getting active.
- Inspiration Point Park – If you’re looking for the perfect place to have a quiet picnic with your family or significant other, then this should be on your list. It’s spacious and serene. A walk in this park can certainly help you relax or clear your head. After all it is called Inspiration Point Park for nothing.
- Free Movies, Anyone? – Do you like enjoying free movies while enjoying the cool wind? Then, the Skyline Park, Infinity Park in Glendale, and Civic Center are the places to go!
3. Things to Eat in Denver
Denver is well-known for their top-notch New Mexican cuisine. So check out Little Anita’s New Mexican cuisine and indulge in some of the best tostada chips and rolled tacos in the area. Also, grab a Denver sandwich for breakfast at Snarf’s and try the rainbow trout and the Rocky Mountain Oysters at The Buckhorn Exchange for lunch or dinner. Finally, if you’re a fan of sweets, visit Aiko Pops. They sell popsicles which flavors range from Pineapple-chocolate to Blackberry-goat cheese.
4. Most Popular Restaurants in Denver
First of all, you don’t visit a city without checking out some of its best restaurants! Fortunately, the Mile High is a great city to indulge in delicious and mouth-watering dishes!
- Fruition Restaurant – This fine-dining restaurant is best-known for its vegan menu, and each food plate is well-presented. Customers are fond of its intimate and sophisticated atmosphere.
- Snooze – Snooze is the place to go if you’re looking for a reasonably priced breakfast or brunch in the area. Be sure to order their five-star pancakes. It is best to visit the place on a weekday since it’s pretty crowded on weekends.
- Sam’s No. 3 – Sam’s is your best bet if you’re on a budget. Locals love this place for the good food at affordable prices. Its location is very accessible to tourists since it’s in the middle of the business district and nearby hotels. The pork green chili and burritos are its best-sellers!
5. Best Places to Shop in Denver
Go boutique shopping in downtown Denver! Check out well-made Western shirts at Rockmount Ranch Wear. M.W. Reynolds, on the other hand, is your one-stop shop for all things outdoor. A must visit if you are the outdoorsy type!
It’s the digital age, yet nothing beats books. Tattered Cover Book Store at downtown Denver is beloved, and one of the most famous destinations here. So if you enjoy reading a good book while drinking hot tea with a snack, then this is your haven. Downton Denver has so much to offer, as it is the main district in the city.
Aside from being the go-to shopping mall in Denver, Larimer Square is one of the city’s historic spots as well as a perfect place for sunset watching. It also has a good variety of restaurants and boutique shops you can visit and an hour tour of the mall will be worth it.
Denver Pavillions is another highly-regarded shopping mall in the area. Its a great place to watch a movie thanks to its theaters’ modern design. Reclining chairs are waiting for you and tray tables are also available if you want to bring food inside the movie theater.
Want to go all out? Then you have to visit Cherry Creek shopping district. It has two shopping centers in the area: Cherry Creek North and Cherry Creek Shopping Center. In here you can find the latest fashion trends and much more!
6. Most Popular Destinations in Denver
Denver is famous for its outdoor scenery and you don’t want to miss the Denver Botanical Gardens! This pristine garden spans 24 acres and you will see exotic plants from all corners of the world. In addition, Mount Evans offers the best-overlooking view of the city. So it’s best to go in the morning since parking fills up quickly.
The city is home to some of the most popular sports squad in the United States. Check out the Denver Nuggets as they hold their home games at the Pepsi Center. They also take pride in their professional football team, the Denver Broncos. You can catch them at the Sports Authority Field at Mile High.
Want to have fun with the kids? Elitch Gardens should definitely be on your list. Because kids will surely have fun since they have a theme park, a water park, concerts and events, and even fireworks! Just make sure to plan your visit ahead of time because the park follows a schedule, and is usually open from the end of April to October.
Spring/summer getaway or winter wonderland—you choose! Estes Park is a popular resort in Denver. And it’s where the famous Rocky Mountain National Park is located. It is known for its epic spring snowstorms and you’ll have just that at Estes Park.
Finally, explore and adore the animals and Denver Zoo! Located at City Park, Denver, it is one of the most popular paid attractions in the area. This zoo houses several species from all over the world! It’s the perfect family bonding experience!
7. Check Out Art and History in Denver
If you have free time and are looking for things to do in Denver, then the museum scene is not one to miss. It varies between contemporary, traditional, and modern. So whatever your taste is, you can find it here. Some of the museums you should visit include:
- Denver Museum of Nature & Science – Known for interactive installations and top-tier traveling exhibits. Adults and kids love this museum!
- Denver Art Museum – It is known for its textile art gallery featuring the history of fashion, and the largest collections of Native American art in the world.
- Museum of Contemporary Art Denver – They have regular special events and workshops for kids!
- Molly Brown House Museum – This museum is named after the “unsinkable” Molly Brown, who’s famous for surviving the Titanic shipwreck. They also have special events during the holidays!
- Colorado Sports Hall of Fame – It’s located at the Sports Authority Field at Mile High Stadium. It celebrates the love of sports and significant historical events.
- Clyfford Still Museum – Known for housing the works of American abstract expressionist Clyfford Still. Check out what’s beyond the second-floor doors to see picturesque views of the foothills and the Mile High City.
- Red Rocks Amphitheatre & Visitor Center – Love music? Then this should be on your list! Apart from being a legendary natural amphitheater, the visitor center houses music memorabilia and video presentations of the Beatles, Sting and other rock stars of that generation!
- Denver Museum of Miniatures, Dolls and Toys – Do check out lots of miniature hand-paintings and whatnot!
8. How to Get Around in Denver
— Tony Carne (@tonycarneUA) October 11, 2017
You can just book an Uber or Lyft ride if you want a hassle-free tour of the city and avoid looking for parking space everywhere you go. Going for a walk is always a good option in this beautiful, sunny city. You can also ride public transportation to live like the locals do!
Consider signing-up for the B-Cycle program if you like riding bikes. It won’t be hard to rent one since stations are spread all over the city.
9. Travel Tips for Denver
If you’re planning to book a Denver tour, the best time to visit is April through May and September through October. If you’re not aiming for any particular event, these months are the ideal travel dates with fewer tourists and lower hotel prices.
Here’s a glimpse of what it’s like to visit the city of Denver courtesy of The New York Times:
Denver indeed has plenty of beautiful destinations to visit and take photos of. If you’re a fan of the outdoors and great food, then the Mile High City should be part of your travel checklist. So what are you waiting for? Use this list of things to do in Denver as your itinerary and be amazed at how much you can do in the Mile High City!
Are you visiting Denver soon? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Up Next: Things To Do in Seattle
Editor’s Note – This post was originally published on December 6, 2017, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.