Are you a bit clueless regarding what to pack for a cruise? If it is your first time having a vacation on a cruise ship, it’s not surprising you’ll find packing a daunting task. There will be beach days, gala nights, and other activities in between that you have to consider when packing your things. So to give you an idea of things to take on a cruise, check out this list of essentials below!
What to Pack for a Cruise? | Things to Include in Your Carry-On and Luggage
As soon as you step on the cruise ship, the urge to have fun will quickly take over and you will want to wander around right away. More often than not, your luggage may arrive sometime in the afternoon or in the evening. That is why the things you stuff in your carry-on bag matters. To start the trip on the right note, here are the must-haves in your carry-on bag.
- Passport and other important travel documents – It is a dead giveaway that you will need to present your travel documents before you can board the cruise ship. Also, there might be instances you will be hitting beautiful ports in other countries and you might need these documents nearby.
- Wallet – Credit cards and extra cash in your wallet will suffice. You may need your credit card to set up an account for spending while on board. Keeping a few bucks in your wallet for other expenses like tips is also a good idea.
- Prescription medications – Needless to say, your medicines should always be within your reach. Always put them in your carry-on bag and not in your luggage so you can get it easily in case of emergency.
- Personal toiletries – Most cruise ships provide soaps and shampoos but if you’re a bit particular about the brand, bringing your own personal items are way better. Don’t forget your sunscreen!
- Change of clothes – You may want to bring extra outfits for your first day. This may include swimsuits, workout clothes, underwear, spare clothes, socks, towels, etc. Keep in mind your luggage may take quite a few hours before you can get it.
- Other essential items – You may want to keep your cameras and cell phones always ready for photo ops. Also, if you are a bit anxious about your valuables – like pieces of jewelry – will be stolen in your luggage, better to keep it in your carry-on bag.
What to wear on a cruise ship? This is one of the questions that come to the mind of first-time cruisers. The clothes you need to wear will vary on your destinations or cruise plan and of course, on your own style. You can wear any casual attire or just come as you are. Remember, you are on vacation. So relax and wear what you feel like wearing as long as it is not obscene.
Shorts, T-shirts, polo shirts, tank tops, swimwear, flip-flops, sneakers, and summer dresses are just some examples of clothes you can wear. Wide-brimmed hats and Fedoras are perfect to protect you from the tropical sun. You can also wear clothes that can be layered when the weather is cooler.
However, there are places inside the cruise ship that follows a specific dress-code particularly in the main dining room and other exclusive restaurants. You may want to wear smart casual attire like as collared shirts, dresses, blouses, jackets, or pants when you go to such places. If you want to make it a more formal night, tuxedos, cocktail dresses, and evening gowns are very much welcomed.
Your cameras, phones, GoPro, and other electronic devices will all be pretty much useless if it’s all drained out so having chargers for each device is a must if you are traveling. You might also want to bring a portable charger or a universal power bank.
Travel Power Strip
There might be a limited number of power outlets for you to charge your electronic devices. Bringing a power strip will let you plug multiple gadgets and charge them all at the same time. Also, you don’t have to bring more adapters when you have a power strip. The last thing you want to happen during the trip is your phone and camera running out of battery, right?
If you will head out for a cruise, having a good pair of binoculars will intensify your adventure. You can take a closer look at the dramatic landscapes, breathtaking islands, exotic birds, and other spectacular views you don’t normally see in your everyday life. Actually, there are a lot of things you can see when you are out on the ocean.
You may be skeptical about this item, but this little piece of paper will surely come handy when you need to leave notes for your family or cabin mates. You can let them know your whereabouts especially if you don’t have your phone with you. Plus, you can leave notes to cabin stewards if you need to address them something while cleaning the room.
Waterproof Dry Bag
When you feel like taking a dip in the pool or when you are on the beach or if you want to take part in watersports activities, the last thing you want is getting your gadgets, spare clothes, and other valuables wet. That is why it is important to bring a waterproof dry bag to have a safe storage. You can also bring a waterproof case if you want to keep your valuables with you all the time.
Bathroom Door Organizer
One of the best tips we can get from an experienced cruiser is to always bring a bathroom door organizer. Because cabin bathrooms are typically small, this will maximize the space and give you extra storage for little things like toiletries and other small important items. You may want to throw in some extra clothes hangers and towel clips in your pack as these things will also come handy.
Here are other important things you need to include in your pack. These things will surely make your trip more convenient and hassle-free.
- Sunscreen and Aloe Gel
- Refillable water bottle
- Wrinkle-release spray
- Beach towel
- Books and magazines
- Mask and snorkel
- Inflatable water toy (if traveling with kids)
- Non-alcoholic beverages
Still undecided of what to pack for a cruise? Check out this video from Cruise Control and find out the top things to pack for a cruise ship vacation!
Going on a cruise will require you to plan ahead of time. It will be even better if you have a printable cruise packing list while you are preparing your things. If you can pack light yet have all the cruise essentials, then it is way better. The last thing you want is to open your luggage and find out you missed something important. However, in the event you still forgot an item, you can always check one of the onboard shops and see if they have what you need.
Are there any other important things we’ve missed? If you know what to pack for a cruise then send us your list in the comment section below!